Thursday July 9, 2015 0 comments
By Kris Boesch
Last week I heard of a company that did something truly brilliant.
One of their employees was headed in for open-heart surgery.
The company bought everyone Fitbits, and for every 1 million steps in the month the company donated $1,000 to this employee’s surgery.
The team accomplished 5 million steps and raised $5,000 for their co-worker!
There are at least 8 wins here:
Win – the employee who received the donation
Win – the sense of contributing to something bigger than yourself (my steps alone
are not enough)
Win – the sense of camaraderie and team interdependency – we’re in this together
Win – the warm fuzzy felt through participating
Win – the health and well being created by all those steps
Win – the sense of winning, and being on a winning and caring team - celebration
Win – significant morale boost amongst employees
Win – important side offshoot – increasing the above, increases productivity which
more than financially pays for the Fitbits and donation
What type of wellness camaraderie program could you create that has these factors:
- Everyone can participate and it’s easy to participate
- Timely with a deadline
- Meaningful – towards an altruistic goal that is tangible for everyone
- Creates well-being for participants in the act of participating
- Encourages camaraderie and a sense of team and unity (my steps alone are not enough)
- Witnessing of one another’s contribution
I would love to hear what you come up with!