Monday January 4, 2021 0 comments
By Bill Van Eron
Conscious Innovation & Brand Relevance
Headwaters Marketing & Innovation
Self-Reflection and Collective Reasoning – a growing need and value - will reveal a future all or most can share in. Sadly, while some try to manipulate truths to shape a greed-centered advantage, as more of us unite around ethical principles that matter to more of us, the sooner we can shape greater truths collectively and appreciate the difference.
For many of us, while we value trust highly, this may feel like a pie in the sky notion given how trust in business & government leadership has eroded to new crisis level lows.
We understand why so many of us felt compelled to measure up to standards set by others for the early stages of our careers. Success or failure shape new insights more of us can apply to shape greater success by earning greater relevance. Climbing the ladder now is a collective effort, as the chain of command is every link shaping & earning greater relevance so all benefit.
Why is this so new to employees and management?
- Most or all of us become victims of our own and various organizations status quo. For many who chose a career to achieve a high ideal; losing hope & trust translated as 76% of global employees being emotionally disconnected from work. A sure path to failure - Gallup.
- Just as management has long expected success rather than investing to earn it, the same can be said of our youth who “expect” an entrepreneurial culture and denounce corporations who fail to create one and keep it. Why not help shape it wherever we go as key to success? The collective value we gain in doing so, also helps your leap to relevance.
- Management has long respected employees who own up to their own challenges where that adjustment benefits business effectiveness. Now, the same challenge is upon management as the path to success requires internal and external stakeholder buy in, as they - with 100% transparency - determine who is worthy, or not. A new breed of leaders will own this & rise above all that fail to embrace our enabled humanity sooner.
- Technology has dominated our attention. I applaud tech progress, while also seeing studies that show it’s growing inhibitors to our humanity, especially as AI claims empathy as spelled me-pathetic versus we-centric. Now is the time to balance both. As AI is increasingly closer to eliminating work repetition, given the roles humanity and all functions need to rise up to now shape higher relevance, why is this support hard to find, as now crucial to conscious earned human relevance as a prerequisite to success? AI is not the answer while it can help.
- Management – even good ones - will struggle to earn our trust after decades of greed, control & risk aversion defined Corporate America overall. More employees across diversity, values connections & inclusion will relate more to how and where to best enable others through change once enabled to do so. Why not now? While managers oft define change as chaotic, earned stakeholder trust & relevance is the best support through change.
- As our society fails to challenge ourselves to seek truths through greater reasoning on needs and challenges, we risk losing all that we may have taken for granted. Change that to unite around collective and shared truths, and we soon realize the power of “we the people”, as our founders intended. Yes, we form bias without the enlightenment of an honest challenge. Imagine leaders inviting diverse views across strategy, process as true inclusion.
- Whether we join a company, a community or country, all have unwritten codes of conduct that get off track, often as an unethical departure a violator cares not to have to defend unless they are the victim. In turn, as more of us champion the values that shape higher shared relevance, we witness the power of positive change as earned and regarded by all stakeholders as principles in evidence arise. I see a positive system of accountability as a tech-enabled human advantage. But humanity itself should not be forsaken to AI.
Why and how can we define and realize each New Year with greater shared resolution?
- Well before COVID-19 hit, the need for a major shift was clear to people who see our system of humanity and balance as out of whack as more of us struggle to survive as the wealthy few prospered on the work we did often beyond reason. A healthy economy is more so fueled bottoms up, not top down.
- The path to a better future has more to do by resolving barriers to our shared success that are well overdue. Look at how long it still takes us to recognize women and our full diversity as equals, yet as they get the chance to shape work of higher value to all, they prove out as caring leaders, as all or most do that well.
- Creative professionals are tuned to open-mindedness as a positive force for change. Yet as I look at C-Suites, Boards, Government & more, less than 2% have this in leadership. When our human attributes define our value, more so than a limiting job description, we are closer to relevance in action. I have a great values compass & humanity-centric systems thinking with deep insights to the unprecedented value it shapes & recognizes in others.
- The more we realize we are all in this together, so we can embrace an age of interdependency as the means for more to shape and share relevance inspired success.
- Embrace infusions of objectivity & positive accountability as if not, we fall back into patterns that fail on many counts. Welcome challenges to core assumptions & ideas, as a path to inclusion & wider stakeholder regard. Just saying the words sans actions is a fast way to fail.
- Open up, smile and laugh more often as we all benefit, bond and appreciate each other. Earn integrity, meaning, purpose & attitude as a collective path to a New Year of high resolution.